Sunday 13 January 2013

Entry One - 1st Oct 2012

'Mum, you're nice and cuddly, but I wish you would chase me more.' When I heard those words out of my 7 year old sons mouth I knew it had gone too far.

I was 36 and 91.2kgs... What happened to the size 10 my husband met 13 years ago? My not so tactful 10 year old son would probably say I ate her... and he wouldn't be too far wrong.

As a child there wasn't a sport I didn't play, I was never over weight through my teenage years and it wasn't until I turned 20, got an office job and a live in boy friend that I started to gain weight. It was about this time that I started to get chronic migraines - the doctors couldn't tell me why.

Staying in bed for two or three days in a row is a great way to lose motivation, you can't go to netball, or volley ball because you can't see through the pain, then feeling guilty because the team lost as they were one person down. Eating crap food because it makes you feel better while you are eating it, then makes you feel like crap afterwards, so you eat more to get that good feeling back... It's a vicious cycle.

I eventually lost the weight, ditched the boyfriend, and moved interstate for work and a better job, which is where I met my husband. Surprisingly, the migraines stopped, the doctors couldn't tell me why.

Matt and I moved in together and were happy, both of us gained weight, a lot of weight. I went from a size 10 to a size 18 in 10 years. The migraines returned about 6 years ago, this time they were worse, more frequent and a lot more painful, I have been hospitalised for dehydration at least 6 times in the past 2 years due to dehydration caused by not being able to keep anything down during an attack. The doctors couldn't tell me why.

I asked the Doctors if it could be from drinking a lot of Diet Coke and I was told 'No.'... So after giving up a nasty Diet Coke addiction (2lts a day) I was hospitalised twice as I had heart palpitations and an 11 day migraine. I stayed strong and kept off the Coke, my migraines became less - from 2 days a week to 2 days a fortnight.

After reading extensively any information I could on causes of migraines, and even though I was told that there is no such thing as an MSG reaction by my GP, I decided to give up MSG, . (This is a lot easier said than done)

MSG IS THE DEVIL!!

Flavour Enhancer 621, MSG, Mono Sodium Glutamate,Plant Protein Extract, Textured Protein, Yeast Extract, Hydolized corn Hydolized anything), MSG has about 30 different ingredient names... and until I figured them all out I was suffering. MSG is in so many foods, and disguised as so many ingredients it is really hard to avoid.

It's been about a year and I have about one migraine every 2-3 months (and only if I slip up and miss something, or eat out and not realise that it has MSG )

This got me thinking, if giving up Diet Coke and MSG make me feel so much better what about if I lost some weight, so when my son utter those heart breaking words to me I knew it was time to change...

No comments:

Post a Comment